Some people decide to take care of their company’s digital marketing themselves, and that’s OK. But sometimes you need to leave SEO for the SEO agency and experts.
There are countless of videos and tutorials on SEO, and maybe there’s an SEO strategist in you that’s waiting to be free. But if you really want to have great results, you need hire a professional.
Now that you know you need an SEO agency, what should you look for and how should you pick the best one for you?
Why Do You Need an SEO Agency?
Up until a certain level, SEO is relatively easy to understand and some techniques can be applied naturally.
But what if you reach a level where your great content and engaging ideas just don’t get enough views? What if your product doesn’t seem to overpass that plateau of monthly visits?
There are some tips and tricks that require more expertise and knowledge, specially since SEO is something that changes everyday and it’s a full time job just to keep up to date with everything new.
SEO may also be something that’s relevant to the growth of your company, but not particularly essential. In that case, you can trust that an SEO agency is the best way to go, since they can offer you different packages depending on your particular needs.
But how do you know what to look for? What exactly does an SEO expert looks like?
SEO experts come in all shapes and sizes, whether it’s as an employee, an individual consultant, or an SEO consulting firm. What they all have in common is that an experienced SEO expert will review your website; will ask about your business goals and how your target visitors; and finally will identify strategies to improve your search engine rankings and page views.
Basically, if you’re struggling to get more traffic and you don’t have the budget to bring someone in-house to do the job, looking for an outside SEO agency or expert may be a good fit.
What To Look For In An SEO Agency?
When you decide to look for an outside SEO consultant, there are certain things you need to keep an eye on.
- Experience and state of the art knowledge: Google’s algorithms change everyday and every once in a while they change in a very significant way. Be sure to ask how fresh is your potential SEO expert knowledge about the new rules of the game.
- Depth in SEO levels knowledge: There are different ways to apply SEO techniques. And depending on what you need, you’d also need your SEO expert to know. The different levels are:
Technical (the website’s structure, determines how easy or difficult it is for search engines to crawl and index your content).
On-page optimisation (correctly using keywords and HTML tags in ways that aid the increase of search engine traffic to your site).
Off-page optimisation (for example link building).
- Marketing background
- A good match for your company’s culture: this is very important since SEO falls under the umbrella of digital marketing, your SEO agency should really know your company’s culture, understand it and have similar values.
- Understanding of your goals: Be sure to talk to your candidates about what your goals are:
I like asking SEO companies: What process are you going to use to accomplish our goals, and why do you use those particular processes? That’s a really smart one to start with.
- Communication process: ask for their communication process and what information do they provide to you, how do they measure their progress and how often would they report that to you. A good SEO agency will have a great communication with their clients and would hide nothing.
- Good referrals.
Start by getting your goals very clear and ask around for a few SEO consultants that have done a good job. And don’t be afraid to ask as many questions as you want. You can get more information from the experts at Moz in the next video.